Monday, January 26, 2009

On this cold January day, I give you a warm painting to help you through the day- stay warm!

It is Monday and I still have many questions about how this all works. I have talked to my friends and we can not figure out how comments are made on my site. Oh, well! Today's painting is "A Sunset Serenade"( I am sure that this title will please my dear friend Mary-the English teacher :) ) I tend to like working with landscapes. They give me the opportunity to create space. Hopefully, deep space is what the viewer sees. I always tell my lovely wife,Mary Anne, that I should paint only backgrounds.I know as I walk and I drive I am constantly scanning the area to see the values and sizes of objects. I have even been known to request that Mary Anne remember what we are seeing. It is nice to have another set of eyes- epsecially on someone who has a good memory. When I paint I realize that as long as I give the viewer a good shape of the object the color can be very subjective. Here I emphasize the warmth of the sunset by limiting my hues to the red end of the scale.

The elements are always on my mind. I think that is because I taught a beginning drawing and painting class for forty years. I stood while I painted this painting- not a typical procedure for me. There are tiimes that I put my right arm behind my back. This keeps me from getting too tight with my paiinting. I have an unsteady hand and keeping my forearm on the table helps stablize my hand movements. I loved using the line element throughout my composition.


3 comments:

  1. I'm excited about your blogspot - I'll be able
    to keep tabs on the latest paintings of my
    favorite friend and painter! This painting looks
    great and can't wait to see the next one.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ed!

    It's Kristin Stack- I'm just trying this out to see if you need a gmail account to comment. For those who are trying to comment but can't, I think they are struggling with finding where to comment since many people are getting your blog through email. It's easier for them to go to the main page and post their comment directly. Site looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two Buds and a painting! Hold on to your ear.
    The crisp spontaneous brushwork in the foreground begins the gentle journey in space... I like the colors "I" see!

    ReplyDelete