Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Skating in the Park

As a painter, I paint that which is familiar to me. In my previous postings, I have used pieces that demonstrate my desire to work with the basics- the elements. I thnk that is the teacher in me. In today's image, I paint that which I have an emotional attachment. This more traditional piece is a park in Lancaster, Ohio-Risng Park. We have many beautiful parks within our community. This one is a place in which family reunions, weddings, birthdays are celebrated. Growing up nearby, this park was like my backyard. Keeping warm by the bonfires and ice skating were some of the activities I enjoyed in Rising Park. If you have never been here you should climb the "mountain" to see an aerial view of our community. As I go along, I hope to illustrate Lancaster as a special community This particular painting is one of many that I have created as limited edition reproductions. I think of these pieces as "shared-memory" paintings.

Through the use of shadows, I have tried to create a sense of time in this piece. The use of the shadows also helps create a mood. The ryhthm of these shadows helps lead the eye upperward. Cast shadows also work to anchor your objects to the surface. It can contain some of the complimentary color of the object casting it. Shadows in your work can add a great deal.

Stay warm.








12 comments:

  1. If you wold like to leave comments simply click on comments. ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm…very interesting. I am learning so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, especially the way the light appears to bounce of the snow. Great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have been part of your youth since I see myself as one of the skaters. Little did we know about the skill of being able to stand on only two blades,but the fun and laughter we had while learning! Feeling the fresh cold air against our cheeks and the smell of wood burning at the bond fire are memories you have brought to the forefront of my mind, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mr. Kitchen this is Bryan Vance, I got your call the other day but I had no service so I didn't get your number to call you back so If you could just call me back when you get this it'd be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed I have several of your works and I am interested in acquiring a few new ones. How can you be reached? Mark Everhart - everhartm@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Andrew Frye I was one of your students at Groveport Middle School please contact me flafrye@cs.com I would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a couple of your paintings when you were in Cambridge Oh and would like to buy more. How can I see what you have available to sell?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Kitchen - do you have any reproductions of your painting "County Fair"? I'd really be interested in obtaining one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Kitchen, do you have any contact information or a store where your art can be purchased?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you still in Lancaster? We own one of your prints, interested in another but can't find your work on the internet. Any information... or contact info appreciated. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if this allowed, but I have sleigh ride #254/600 I would like to sell.

      Delete