Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hello from Lancaster, Ohio. I offer to you this morning another landscape. I love patterns. I think that it is the rhythm that they create that affects me mentally. I find them to be calming. I have always loved creating trees. I can still remember my mom telling me I did nice trees. So she probably , through her statement, encouraged me to continue drawing and painting trees. I hope that my view of this landscape, unlike the soft appearance of the last post , encourages you to see things differently. As an adult, I have a friend, who teaches mathematics. She taught me about the Fibonacci series. She showed me the math in nature. You never know where influences can begin. I encourage each of you to share a little of your knowledge with someone.
Your influence is greater than you think. Have a great day.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this one Ed. If only I would
    have checked your blog earlier I would have
    reminded myself to come to your open house.
    Feed bad we missed it. Oh, well, I'll keep
    watching your blog.

    Donna Noice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your new painting. Have you ever thought about putting some of your art in a magazine and then publishing it?? Might check out MagCloud http://www.magcloud.com/ or a book
    check out Blurb http://www.blurb.com/ maybe you have already done this and I just don't know. I use the Fibonacci series to determine when and what stocks I want to buy or sell Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. And guess what, Ed? The borders of your clouds and the evergreen tree in front, look like Mandlebrot sets - a good google search for people who enjoy the mathematics of nature. Plato said, "God geometrizes constantly." Of course, there is no such word as geometrizes, but Plato was wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a little controversy on that quote:

    As for the famous saying "God geometrizes", it is not to be found in Plato's own writings, but in a quote from Plutarch (Convivialium disputationum, liber 8,2) : "Plato said God geometrizes continually"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, you're going to be so sorry you mentioned this! Here's a good link to see the comparisons with number theory sets and your art work - honestly! http://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/math/mandelbrot/mandelbrot.html

    ReplyDelete